Friday, January 16, 2009

Track workout GFLF 1/14/09

Wednesday was the first track workout for the GFLF program, and wow, I think I really like track workouts. It was really different for me, i'm just used to running along the road, or trail, but the track was a completely different experience.

The workout we did was 3 sets of 600m comfortably hard, followed by 1 minute rest, then a 200m sprint, then a 200m walk, then we would start the next set once our heart rate reached 120. Let's just say that my comfortably hard pace is different then the rest. We'll get to that later.

We started the night with an 800m warmup, my warmup pace was around 8:45, consistent. Then some stretching. We did more drills, like skips, lunges, side step, etc. Then we started the workout. Onto my story, comfortably hard, I started running, comfortably hard, then about halfway through the lap, I look back, and people are a ways behind me. UH OH. I was a pacer, not a racer now. I slowed down, let them catch up and tried to keep them in my sights. Then the 200m sprint, and same thing, but this time, I just went my own pace as they caught up when we were waiting for our heart rates to go back down, and soon, they should be able to keep up.

And now we were waiting for heart rate, mine was down to about 110, when we would be ready to start running again. Then this was followed by 2 more sets. After the sets, an 800m cooldown.

I also wore my new track/racing shoes. They are Asics Gel Speedstars and I LOVE THEM! They felt fantastic on that track. Very Light weight and responsive. I ran back to the car with them to see how they would hold up on cement, and they also did very well. Obviously not as much padding as normal, because they are a racing shoe.

Overall a great workout with GFLF, and I'm looking forward to our long run on Saturday morning, as we explore Leif trail.

0 comments: