Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Some last words....

With race day only 4 days away now, I am tapering.  Workouts are easier and shorter.  It can definitely be hard during this phase to push myself farther, but I need to remember that rest and recovery are just as important as exercise.  My feelings about now are 50% excited and 50% nervous.  I am so excited to see that start line and will be ecstatic when I see the finish chute!  This is my longest race to date, and will be out on the course for 6 hours.  There is a lot of mental work too, I need to stay consistent during all 3 disciplines.  I need to remember my nutrition and my hydration. 

The last thing I want to say, and the most important: I want to thank my family for going through this journey with me.  Thank you to my wife Stephanie, who missed her husband for dinner because he had to workout, and miss her husband for weekend breakfast for my long swims, rides and runs.  Thank you Stephanie for sacrificing so that I could accomplish this goal of mine.  Thank you to my daughter who, probably won't remember daddy was gone, but was so excited to see me home. 

Stephanie has always pushed me to do better, and she sometimes had to push me out of bed to make it to the gym.  Thank you so much honey, I love you and will definitely make it up to you when it's over.

I will post my race day recap and results next week.  Have a great weekend, and the next time I talk to you, I'll be half an IronMan. :-)

0 comments: